Netgear, Inc., manufacturer of Smart Web Managed Switching, is adding three powerful new switches to its second-generation ProSAFE 10-Gigabit Ethernet (GbE) Smart Managed Switch portfolio. These products are purposely designed to provide small- and medium-sized businesses (SMBs) and other growing organisations with cost-effective 10GBASE-T connectivity, IPv6 management, and other advanced Layer 2+/Layer 3 Lite features.
With business networks straining to meet an insatiable need for greater network capacity and faced with the desire to better address performance bottlenecks caused by the rise in greater data production and consumption, NETGEAR has developed this new XS family of switches.
- Netgear ProSAFE 48-Port 10-Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Switch (XS748T) offers 44 copper 10GBASE-T ports and 4 additional dedicated 1GbE/10GbE SFP+ ports for 10G fibre links.
- Netgear ProSAFE 16-Port 10-Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Switch (XS716T) includes 16 copper ports of 10-Gigabit connectivity, 2 of which are shared/combination copper/SFP+ Fiber ports for 10G fibre links.
- Netgear ProSAFE 8-Port 10-Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Switch (XS708T) includes 8 copper ports of 10-Gigabit connectivity, 2 of which are shared/combination copper/SFP+ Fiber ports for 10G fibre links.
The Netgear portfolio of 10-Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Switches is a cost-effective way to provide 10GbE connections to 10GbE-capable servers and NAS (Network Attached Storage) systems. The switches can be used at the centre of a small business network or as an access switch in a larger organisation including workgroup access, connecting to a 10-Gigabit Netgear ProSAFE Fully Managed Switch on one end and extending the 10GbE connections to the edge.
"The Netgear XS708T ProSAFE switch is easy to set-up, and just as easy to configure, which is a valuable asset for my installers in the field. It has the performance I would expect, and the management functions I need for the VoIP services that we provide to our clients," said Larry W. Hall, CEO of Electro-Mechanical Technology. Additionally, given that all of the ports operate at full 10G speed, we are set up to address any workloads that we are faced with and positioned to be well equipped to handle the future of greater data demands."
The new switches join the ProSAFE 12-port XS712T and the 28-port XS728T Smart Managed Switch models already enjoying success in the market. From 48 ports for medium-sized networks down to 8 ports for smaller workgroups that need high-bandwidth for sharing, collaborating, editing, and publishing high-density content like video or animation — Netgear offers the broadest selection of smart managed switches in the industry.
Survey Shows SMB Migration to 10-Gigabit Switching
A recent survey of over 550 IT decision-makers in the U.S, U.K., and Germany reveals the perceptions toward 10 Gigabit Switching in sub-500-employee organisations. Conducted by Palmer Research on behalf of Netgear, the results reveal that while only 33 percent of the surveyed businesses currently have 10GbE switching, the expectation is that 75 percent will have deployed it by the end of 2017. Contrary to general assumptions, 10-Gigabit switching is very much alive outside the data centre or core of the network, with 42 per cent of SMBs planning to use 10GbE switching in workgroup settings, compared to only 15 per cent use for aggregation.
"With our long history of specialising in SMB network solutions, Netgear understands the incredible bandwidth capacity challenge to high performance networks posed by the growth of new services," said Richard Jonker, vice president of SMB product line management for NETGEAR commercial business. "Our portfolio of 10-Gigabit Smart Managed Switches presents the broadest solution to meet this demand, delivering unprecedented non-blocking 10-Gigabit bandwidth. While historically 10GbE has been cost-prohibitive for SMBs, we're able to drive down the cost while adding new features that make our products a smart, affordable investment for SMB budgets."
- The ProSAFE 10GbE Smart Managed Switches provide comprehensive L2+/L3 Lite features in order to meet customers' current and future needs for virtualization, converged networks, and mobility. Some of the main features include:
- Advanced VLAN features such as protocol-based VLAN, MAC-based (Media Access Control) VLAN and 802.1x Guest VLAN
- Advanced QoS (Quality of Service) with L2/L3/L4 awareness and 8 priority queues including Q-in-Q
- Static Routing (IPv4 and IPv6)
- Private VLAN
- Dynamic VLAN assignment
- IGMP and MLD snooping
- Advanced security
- IPv6 for management, QoS and ACL
- Easy-to-use Web browser-based management GUI
- Green Ethernet features for energy efficiency