BakBone Software, provider of Universal Data Management solutions, has launched version 8.5 of its flagship product, NetVault: Backup and new disk-based backup and deduplication options with NetVault: SmartDisk.
The latest advancement in the NetVault line, NetVault: SmartDisk is the first product delivery based on BakBones recently announced Open Data Protection Platform. NetVault: SmartDisks disk-based backup and data deduplication option provides new benefits to customers, including:
- Drastically reduces storage costs with BakBones new powerful, byte-level, variable block-based deduplication option that protects more data in the same storage area. Achieves disk savings of up to 90% and reduces hardware costs by using existing storage infrastructure without requiring specific drives or appliances.
- Allows customers to take advantage of deduplication and encryption. Since encrypted data does not deduplicate well, BakBones job-level deduplication and encryption capabilities solve this by allowing customers to deduplicate the primary copy and encrypt the secondary copy.
- Speeds deployments through seamless integration with NetVault: Backup.
- Minimises the level of storage expertise required to implement deduplicated backups with NetVault: Backups simplified ease of use.
- Works with third party disk-based backup solutions, such as Data Domain.
Deduplication remains a wide open market with the large value of deduplication still in front of us, said Arun Taneja, Founder and Consulting Analyst, Taneja Group. BakBones advantage is the one-stop approach for deduplication and backup without being tied to a particular disk solution.
We are thrilled to introduce the first product based on BakBones new Open Data Protection Platform, said Jeff Drescher, vice president of Marketing, BakBone. Unlike other data protection solutions, BakBone has built intelligence into one platform that extends the investment of users data protection environments with the ultimate goal of providing affordable and long-term disk-based storage. Our future roadmap for BakBones Open Data Protection Platform will allow customers to store and deduplicate data from many different sources, including other data protection vendors. This gives customers the opportunity to consolidate their data protection solutions using the same deduplication solution, thereby reducing costs and providing more flexibility with regard to vendors.
NetVault: Backup 8.5
In addition to NetVault: SmartDisk, the new version of NetVault: Backup introduces advanced security features, a new Hyper-V plugin and extended platform support:
- Advanced AES-256 and CAST-256 encryption algorithms provide the option for stronger encryption as necessitated by regulatory requirements
- Flexibility to encrypt only secondary copies of data while the primary backup remains unencrypted thus reducing the backup window while maintaining security standards for secondary storage
- Job-level encryption increases flexibility, giving users control over exactly which data is encrypted and which data is not
- When used in conjunction with job-level deduplication, the new security features enable encrypted data to be stored in the same NetVault: SmartDisk instance as duplicated non-encrypted data
BakBone continues to deliver on its market-leading virtualisation strategy with the introduction of the NetVault: Backup Hyper-V Plugin, which provides:
- Centralised backup and recovery of virtual and physical environments from a single console by consolidating virtual machine protection into a single NetVault: Backup environment.
- Online protection of Windows-based virtual machines running VSS aware applications, such as Microsoft Exchange Server, SQL Server and SharePoint Server.
- Ability to perform image-level backups for disaster recovery and Windows Guest OS file-level backups for faster file-level recovery.
Extended Platform Support
- BakBone continues to expand its market leading platform support for NetVault: Backup by adding support for Windows 2008 R2, Windows 7, Mac OS X Snow Leopard and several new mainstream Linux platforms.
- NetVault: Bare Metal Recovery for the NetVault: Backup Server extends bare metal recovery to the NetVault: Backup Server for disaster recovery purposes.
NetVault: Backup has been instrumental in protecting our environment, including SQL and VMware, and BakBones roadmap mirrors our IT roadmap, said George Hirst, infrastructure engineer, TracyLocke. We are an advertising agency with large amounts of financial data, and the clients we pitch have very strict security requirements. NetVault: Backup 8.5s enhanced encryption will help us easily meet these clients needs. Also, the new deduplication functionality will help us drastically reduce costs.
About BakBone Software
BakBone Software is a leader in Universal Data Management. This provides a data-centric approach to integrating data protection, centralising policy management and managing organisations messaging infrastructure to optimise performance, increase data availability and improve corporate compliance.