Symbol Technologies, the so-called enterprise mobility company, has seen much development in its market focus of late and reckons to be maintaining its progress. Bearing witness to this is the new generation of mobile devices the company has brought to marketfor example, take a look at the MC70, which is referred to in this article. IT Reseller spoke to Jan Burton, EMEA VP, Symbol Technologies (pictured left), to gain a brief insight to what the company plans to do this year.
- Q: Jan, thanks for sparing some time to speak to me this morning. I have several questions to ask you and I'd like to begin with what is the grand plan for 2006?
- A: Growth in the business. We've spent the last two to three years developing our channel and we intend to continue moving forward.
- Q: How will you attain your goals?
- A: We added coverage with hiring more Symbol sales people and with the role out of our PartnerSelect programme we are in a great position to work closer with our partners, particularly in aligning with the various vertical markets.
- We've also added 60 ISVs in the last quarter and these have access to our 'solutions centre' in New York, which gives them a laboratory facility in which to test their software products with Symbol and other equipment. This is extremely importantachieving validation gives piece of mind to end customers.
- Q: What's your perception of the market at the moment?
- A: It's exciting. Spending is slow, but we see a market with $2 billion potential. What do you think?
- Q: I agree with you that the market potential is there but I have to admit that we could do with seeing a lot more innovation across the market and I'd like to see more emphasis on the SME market. But, what's your view?
- A: The MC 70 (pictured right) that we released recently will help spark innovation at the SME level. This device offers a lot. SME is a big market opportunity for us and much product development has been done to cover this sector. For example, we have been working with companies such as Microsoft to help develop and deliver solutions fit for the marketplace.
- Q: Thanks for your insights, Jan. So, what would you say were the ultimate goals for the end of the year?
- A: We will build a cross-industry track recordwe're well know in retail and distribution circles, but our people and channel partners are working hard in manufacturing, government, and so on. It is very important for us to work together to cover the markets.
Full speed to SME horizons
Jun 01, 2006 Comments (0)