COPAN Systems, provider of complete storage solutions that unlock the value of long-term data, today launched its flagship product - the Revolution 200T, in Europe. Based on MAID (Massive Array of Idle Disks), a unique platform developed by COPAN's founders the Revolution 200T offers, for the first time, a new storage tier with the performance and reliability of disk at the affordability and scale of tape.
The product launch coincides with the opening of COPAN's European headquarters in London and the start of a European-wide programme to recruit Value Added Resellers (VARs) focused on the financial, healthcare, government, media and service provider markets. COPAN's solutions in Europe will be delivered exclusively through the reseller channel and a partnership with Anacomp, the professional services provider, will enable COPAN Systems to offer global services support.
"COPAN's innovative MAID-based approach has been validated by numerous American Fortune 500 customers and we're already seeing strong traction for the Revolution 200T in Europe," said Dave Davenport, COPAN Systems Chief Executive Officer. "We believe that European VARs will see its value as an affordable, reliable and much-needed alternative to tape for their customers' backup/recovery and archiving needs."
COPAN Systems addresses the hole in the storage hierarchy between primary disk and tape that's been created by large enterprises' need to keep data available for longer and longer periods of time. Traditional disk array systems are effective for short-term storage of frequently-changing data, but, few organisations can afford to keep a large percentage of their older data on costly disk. Most of today's enterprises use tape for long-term data storage. However, whilst tape may be inexpensive, access is slow and unreliable, and the associated labour and space costs can offset its initial price advantages. COPAN's Revolution 200T offers the best of both disk and tape.
"Having fast, reliable access to more and more patient data for longer periods of time is mission critical for our medical organisation," said Hal Weiss, System Engineer at Baptist Memorial Healthcare Corporation. One of the largest not-for-profit organizations in the US with 15 hospitals, Baptist has approximately $2 billion in gross revenues and 12,000 employees. "COPAN's Revolution 200T enabled Baptist to successfully back up 4.5 TBs of data in over 17 million files and provide fast and reliable recovery at that scale."
A number of Fortune 500 companies, typically with more than 20TB of active data under management, have already implemented the Revolution 200T and have seen significant return on investment (ROI) by creating business value out of fast, efficient access to backup and archive data. Additional customers include Chicago Mercantile Exchange and Time Warner Cable.
At its foundation, the Revolution 200T is built on the MAID architecture, which uses a very large number of disk drives that provide significant capacity, high volumetric density, and power on demand to optimise data accessibility whilst lowering costs. COPAN Systems has now gone beyond its first conceptions of MAID, and incorporates patent-pending technologies that enable its use for backup/recovery and archive applications. Key innovations include:
- Three Tier System Architecture - Three levels of processing separate functionality, simplify management, and scale performance with capacity.
- POWER MANAGED RAID - Full RAID 5 data protection that spins the drives only when they are needed by the application, with up to 25% powered at one time, extending drive service life by 4x.
- DISK AEROBICS - Predictive monitoring and management of drive health to ensure data vitality to prevent loss and damage by detecting failures before they occur. Revitalizes data before failure by rebuilding data on spare drives from the RAID set.
The result is a storage solution that delivers unprecedented scale, performance, and economy:
- Faster and more predictable backups and quicker restores
- Time to market - By making all archived data instantly available, organizations can now do things with their data they could never do before
- Creates opportunities to implement new strategic applications that cannot be justified with current architectures
- Lower TCO - 20% less than tape and 50% less than D2D2T. With COPAN Systems, companies use less electricity , generate less heat which requires less cooling, and need considerably less floor space.
- Enterprise-class data reliability
The Revolution 200T will be sold through COPAN Systems' network of value-added resellers throughout Europe. The Revolution 200T is priced well below other disk products and right in line with tape. Customers can start with two shelves, 28TB and scale to 224TB in a single small footprint.