Midwich, the specialist audio visual (AV) distributor to the trade market with operations across the UK and Ireland, Continental Europe and Asia-Pacific, is celebrating its 40th anniversary.
Established in 1979 by husband and wife David and Ruth Watson, Midwich Computer Company (the Company) initially sold computer components and supplied BBC computers to schools and colleges. In 1991, the Company was sold to Memec PLC, an Oxfordshire-based distribution company.
In the mid-1990s the Company decided to focus on trade only customers and started to sell AV products.
Following a management buy-out in 2001, the Company grew rapidly and decided to focus on the AV, market. In 2006, Midwich started a programme of acquisition, focusing initially on building its range of specialist AV products, and latterly using acquisition to enter new geographical markets.
In 2009, Midwich entered Ireland, its first overseas market, through the acquisition of AV distributor, Square One. Over the next ten years the company has expanded across most of Europe and now has a strong presence in the Asia Pacific region.
In 2016, Midwich celebrated a milestone when it was admitted to the London Stock Exchange’s AIM market with a market capitalisation of £165m and became Midwich Group plc. The Group’s development has continued apace following its flotation, with turnover increasing by over 80% and the net profit doubling.
Midwich now employs 900 people across the UK and Ireland, Continental Europe and Asia Pacific and has a large and diverse base of over 17,000 customers. For the full year 2018, Midwich generated £574m of revenues.
Stephen Fenby, Managing Director of Midwich Group Plc, said: “I would like to congratulate all of my fellow employees on today’s anniversary. Midwich has grown phenomenally since its inception to become one of the world’s leading specialist AV distributors. It has been an amazing journey, with Diss at the very heart of the operation, as we have expanded into new sectors and new markets, welcoming new businesses and new employees into the Group.
Our success is down to our people, their expertise, commitment and the relationships they have built with our customers and vendors."
“I would like to take this opportunity to thank all our employees, our vendors, clients and partners for their continued support. We are seeing exciting growth opportunities across all our markets and geographies and we look forward to the future with confidence. Here’s to the next 40 years of Midwich.”
History of Midwich
- Acquisition of Mobile Pro - a leading Swiss, value added, trade only distributor of audio visual products with its head office based in Zurich
- Acquisition of Prase - Italy’s leading, specialist value add distributor of professional audio and video products
- Acquisition of Bauer and Trummer GmbH - trading as New Media AV, a value added distributor of broadcast and professional video products in the D-A-CH region (Germany, Austria, Switzerland).
- Acquisition of Sound Directions France - trading as Perfect Sound, a specialist distributor in the audio integration market serving France and the French speaking area of Switzerland.
- Acquisition of Blonde Robot - a specialist trade only distributor of professional video, photographic and broadcast equipment covering he Asia pacific region.
- Acquisition of Earpro - a specialist audio visual distributor headquartered in Barcelona, and covers both the Spanish and Portuguese markets.
- Acquisition of Van Domburg Partners - a market leading audio visual distributor in the Netherlands.
- Acquisition of Sound Technology - a specialist distributor of professional audio, musical instruments and professional lighting
- Flotation of The Midwich Group on the AIM market of the London Stock Exchange
- Acquisition of Holdan - UK-based distributor of broadcast and professional video products
- Acquisition of Wired - NZ-based AV distributor of AV technology
2014 - 2015
- Acquisition of PSCo - Specialists in Rental and LED
- Acquisition of Kern & Stelly - specialist distribution of audio visual products and solutions, based in Hamburg and serving the German market
- Entry into Australia and New Zealand
2006 - 2010
- 6 bolt-on acquisitions
- Entry into France and Ireland
2000 - 2005
- Over £100m annual sales achieved
1995 - 1996
- Introduced trade-only channel policy and commenced AV distribution
1979 - 1987
- Founded in 1976
- Distributor of computers, components and printers