Handheld Europe AB in Sweden have announced that its popular TDS Ranger rugged handheld computer now increases features and reliability with the Microsoft Windows Mobile 5.0 platform.
The new operating system offers additional features, improved reliability, and modern developer support and tools. The Ranger provides users with the latest handheld computer technology in a rugged form factor, helping them work more productively in the field.
The Ranger features separate navigation, alpha and numeric keypads and meets MIL-STD-810F military standards for drops, vibration and temperature extremes. It also maintains an IP67 rating, meaning its impervious to water and dust. The Ranger comes with an SDIO slot and two CompactFlash slots so users can add GPS, GPRS, data storage, barcode scanners and other devices. The standard rechargeable battery can power the Ranger for approximately 30 hours under normal operating conditions.
Windows Mobile 5.0, which replaces Windows Mobile 2003 in the Ranger, supports numerous additional features that improve efficiency and reliability.
The most important changers include:
- Comprehensive persistent storage, which automatically stores all programs and data onto the Ranger's internal Flash storage.
- Persistent storage eliminates the need to perform Sprite system backups to prevent data loss in the event of a surprise power loss or reset.
- Your data will remain securely stored in your Ranger's Flash memory.
- The Ranger is now SDIO-enabled, allowing use of compatible SD devices such as GPS or barcode scanners. Previously, the SD slot in the Ranger X-Series worked only with SD memory cards.
- Windows Mobile 5.0 unlocks USB host functionality of the Rangers standard USB port.
- You can now use USB memory sticks and other Windows Mobile 5.0 compatible USB devices with your Ranger 300X/500X. SDIO and USB host capabilities are subject to the availability of Windows Mobile 5.0 drivers.
- Software updates include: ActiveSync 4.1, Word Mobile, Excel Mobile, PowerPoint Mobile, Outlook Mobile, Terminal Services Client, Voice recorder, Image & video viewer, Windows Media Player 10.x Mobile
The TDS Ranger is the natural choice for field professionals, not only because it keeps data safe in the roughest weather and work environments, but because it offers the latest technology and provides the features that matter most, says Thomas Lfblad, Director of Handheld Europe. The added features and increased dependability of Windows Mobile 5.0 will help field professionals be more productive than ever before.