Cisco has announced the findings of a survey it recently sponsored on the future of IT revealing the 20 Most Significant IT Roles You Should Consider.
Intelligence firm IDC conducted a global survey of IT hiring managers, examining nearly 2 million IT job postings for requested skills. This survey uncovered the IT roles that are both in demand and strategically important to organisations' success, both in the near and long term. These findings are aimed at helping individuals and organisations ensure they're equipped with IT skills and certifications most critical to success now and in the future.
The results of the survey show that digital transformation is increasing demand for skills in key technology areas. Factors such as the proliferation of network-connected devices, adoption of cloud services and exponential rise in security threats are affecting hiring trends.
Digital transformation requires organizations to maintain a technical workforce with an intimate understanding of the very latest technologies, opportunities and threats that impact their ability to innovate, improve processes and ensure customer success.
When hiring and developing employees, many organisations leverage vendor certification programs that provide employers with a way to validate new job-related skills and are often directly linked to hiring decisions, salary level and professional advancement.
Survey results highlights:
- Highest value skills serve critical technology intersections – cybersecurity, cloud, data analytics, IoT and converged infrastructure.
- IT organizations are developing and hiring people to fill these roles right now. These roles also represent the future of IT, as they will add more than 5 million positions (a 36 percent increase) worldwide by 2027.
- For many of these roles, there are skill shortages.
- To be ready for these roles, IT professionals should drive their careers by getting certified in areas organizations are looking for.
- The most frequent talent acquisition strategy for organizations globally is to "grow from within."
- 71 percent of hiring managers say they have more confidence in the knowledge, skills and abilities of an applicant with IT certifications.
- Cisco skills are requested more often than 97 percent of all other requested skills.
Mark Leary, intelligence analyst, Cisco Services, said: "Organisations are betting their futures on digital transformation. IDC's examination of organisational staff needs and industry talent demands indicates that both IT and business leaders boost their odds of winning by developing, attracting, and best applying fully trained and formally certified IT talent."
Cushing Anderson, program vice president, IDC, said: "Digital transformation is driving the industry and creating demand for new roles. The economic opportunities are huge for individuals looking to further their IT careers – or begin them. This research provides a roadmap of where the jobs are and will be in the future."