Cognex Corporation has expanded its award-winning line of image-based barcode readers for logistics, postal, and retail distribution applications with the introduction of the DataMan 503. With particularly high read rates, performance feedback and no moving parts, the advanced DataMan 503 is said to be suited for most challenging barcode reading applications.
High read rates reduce need for manual handling
Carl Gerst, Business Unit Manager for ID Products, said: "Cognex is leading the rapid technology shift that is occurring in logistics, with distribution centres moving from laser-based scanner and complex line scan technologies to area scan image-based systems. This shift is occurring because customers are realising the tangible benefits these readers offer. Cognex barcode readers surpass the limitations of the old technologies and produce read rates that were previously thought to be impossible. Higher read rates reduce manual handling of packages, which means lower costs for our customers."
Made for challenging logistics applications
The DataMan 503 is a complement to the existing line of DataMan logistics barcode readers and has expanded the number of applications where image-based readers can be used. It is particularly well-suited for applications that have high speeds, wide belt widths, or large variations in package height. Key DataMan 503 applications include:
- High-speed sortation
- Multi-sided tunnel scanning
- Large format presentation scanning.
Designed to reduce costs and support process improvement
The DataMan 503 includes all of the DataMan features that have set Cognex barcode readers apart, including:
- Proprietary Cognex Hotbars image-analysis technology, which provides the highest read rates of 1-D barcodes, including those that are damaged, distorted, blurred, scratched, low height or low contrast
- The ability to analyse "no reads" by letting the user see what the reader sees, either live on a monitor or through image archiving
- Designed with no moving parts that can wear out and require repair
- Ease of setup and installation.
Cognex reports that DataMan products offer the benefits of image-based readers with the ease-of-use and cost of laser scanners