Quantum Corp., the global data protection and big data management solutions provier, has announced a new cloud-based backup and disaster recovery (DR) subscription service, Q-Cloud, which provides business-class data protection at a consumer cloud storage price. Enterprise customers can leverage Q-Cloud's simple, secure and flexible approach for as little as 1 cent/GB/month.* Incorporating Quantum's patented deduplication technology, Q-Cloud provides backup of both physical and virtual infrastructures for capacities ranging from 1 TB up to 1 PB of protected data. With Q-Cloud, Quantum extends the industry's most comprehensive range of data protection solutions available, spanning from the data center to the enterprise edge and now to the cloud.
Powered by Quantum Deduplication and Virtual Data Protection
- Q-Cloud takes full advantage of DXi-Series data protection and Quantum vmPRO virtual machine protection capabilities both onsite and in the cloud. DXi appliances offer unique, patented deduplication capabilities which revolutionise cloud storage economics.
- DXi-Series appliances enable Q-Cloud to work with existing backup applications, including Backup Exec, CommVault, Data Protector, NetBackup, vRanger, Tivoli Storage Manager and Veeam.
- Quantum vmPRO and DXi achieve data reduction rates of up to 95 per cent.
- Quantum vmPRO software allows customers to snapshot virtual machines and replicate them to the cloud, serving as the foundation of Q-Cloud's Disaster Recovery as a Service (DRaaS) offering.
Low-Cost, Reliable Edge-to-Cloud Replication
- Multi-site enterprises using Q-Cloud can economically replicate directly from edge to cloud, eliminating the use of primary resources for backup and DR.
- Single-site enterprises can enjoy the benefits of a second site for a new, low-cost approach to backup and DR.
- With an on-premise DXi-Series appliance, Q-Cloud customers can enjoy the speed and convenience of local recovery with the security of cloud-based backup.
'Pay as You Grow' Subscription Pricing
- Subscription pricing enables a "pay as you grow" approach to data protection, allowing customers to purchase only the storage capacity they need and no more.
- Subscription pricing converts capital expense to operating expense and allows customers to avoid the cost associated with under-utilised hardware, making it more cost-effective to put an offsite backup and DR solution in place.
- Quantum's Q-Cloud solution contrasts with many cloud services that typically require customers to buy additional expensive hardware as data grows or abandon prior investments as part of a 'rip and replace' cloud-only approach.
Jason Buffington, senior analyst, Enterprise Strategy Group, said: "Quantum has focused on enabling better backups through deduplication methodologies, as well as virtualisation-optimised data protection mechanisms. For DXi owners, Q-Cloud has the potential to radically disrupt the presumed economics of cloud-based backup and disaster-recovery – making BaaS and DRaaS viable options for folks who might have otherwise thought it unachievable."
Henrik Rosendahl, senior vice president, Cloud Solutions, Quantum, added: "Q-Cloud takes cloud-based data protection for enterprises to the next level. After years spent optimising our deduplication technology we are now applying this technique to dramatically lower the cost of cloud storage for backup and DR. With Q-Cloud, patented deduplication, vmPRO software and end-to-end data security, Quantum is delivering the most innovative and comprehensive solutions available for next-generation data protection."
*Assuming a typical deduplication ratio of 15:1