Samsung CLX-3185FW laser printer triumphs in BLI tests

Samsung Electronics Co., a global provider of digital media and digital convergence technologies, has introduced its CLX-3185FW laser multi-function has been shown by the independent Buyers Laboratory Inc (BLI) to outperform inkjet printers during independent testing. The laser CLX-3185FW outperformed three inkjet printers under the Samsung-commissioned BLI tests on colour density, gloss, impact of highlighter overwriting, water fastness and drying time.

Dion Smith, General Manager, Samsung UK Print Division, says, "We commissioned these BLI tests to help customers better understand the benefits of laser printing, when compared with inkjet. We know that more and more people are now working from home and we want to highlight that laser printers can provide better quality for their home office. Busy professionals are often in a rush when printing important documents, but presentation is vital and first impressions count that's why businesses can't afford not to use laser printers.
"This year Samsung celebrates 20 years in printing. Over the last two decades, we have continually improved the quality of our printers and as a specialist laser brand we are able to offer business users and consumers alike the best quality prints every time. Laser printing, as has been proved in the BLI tests, provide the best solution for professional looking documents when it counts."
The Tests
Colour Density

The four printers' colour density was tested by assessing the average score across four samples of cyan, magneta, yellow and black on three paper types. Under the test, the CLX-3185FW scored highest 75% of the time, featuring as second-best for the remaining 25%.
In a similar test the gloss of the four colours was also measured, with the CLX-3185FW coming out as the highest scoring printer in 100% of the tests recording a score of nearly six times higher than the alternative machines in parts of the test.
Highlighter Overwriting
In BLI's highlighter overwrite test, a test document was printed on each device and left to dry for set time intervals before a highlighter pen was drawn over a specific location. The document was then scanned and processed by OCR (optical character recognition) software. Printers passed the test when the OCR software could accurately interpret the highlighted text.
The output produced by the CLX-3185FW on all three paper samples was perfectly interpreted by the OCR software, even when the highlighter was used immediately after printing, with no need for a drying period. In contrast, the alternative inkjet printers required up to 45 seconds drying time before passing the test.
Drying Time
The impact of ink transfer due to insufficient drying time was measured using a BLI test document and a 500g roller. The BLI test document was printed on each device. The document was allowed to dry for set periods of time before being folded and pressure applied by passing the roller over the page in each direction, simulating a letter being folded in preparation for insertion into an envelope.
The page from the Samsung printer did not show any visible signs of ink and image transfer even when folded with no drying time. In contrast, some of the inkjet devices still showed ink transfer after 10 minutes drying time.
Water Fastness
In the water-fastness test, output from the Samsung stood up well to contact with water, showing no serious degradation in image quality after water was dropped onto the document. Output from two of the three inkjet devices showed evidence of colours running into each other and a loss of data.

Comments (0)

Add a Comment

This thread has been closed from taking new comments.

Editorial: +44 (0)1892 536363
Publisher: +44 (0)208 440 0372
Subscribe FREE to the weekly E-newsletter