Attention power resellers

Riello UPS supplies uninterruptible power supply and power protection systems under ISO9001:2000, ISO14001 and OHSAS18001 and SAFEContractor certified management systems. Here Robin Koffler (pictured left), general manager, discusses the company's route to market and channel strategy.

Q: What is your route to market?

A: Over 90 per cent of Riello UPS sales take place via a third party reseller. The remaining 10 per cent are through special corporate contracts typically won in competitive tenders. The company has built a strong position servicing the growing number of dedicated UPS resellers power resellers in the UK and has a growing number of resellers in the channel.

Q: Describe your business model to explain how your products reach the end customer: that is do you deal solely with distributors, do you deal with distributors, resellers and systems integrators, do you deal with end users?

A: Riello UPS splits its customer base into users and resellers electrical and computer-telecoms. End users are directed towards one of our local power resellers via our website. Within the electrical and computer-telecoms channels Riello UPS works with specialist distributors such as RS Components and Nimans. Resellers can purchase direct from these distributors where possible or set up a trade account with Riello UPS. The same is true for system-integrators but these tend to deal more directly with Riello UPS as we are better set up to service their turn-key needs.

Q: Why do you think partners and customers choose you? And, why should new partners choose to work with you?

A: We have differentiated our position in the UK market through innovation and service. Firstly our products are world beaters with outstanding features and they are competitively priced. Secondly we hold a large stock holding in the UK (from 300 VA to 300 kVA). This means we can service most requirements on a next day service. Our resellers can take an order and know that there goods are going to be on site within one to two days from order. As they do not need to stock and our turnarounds are so quick their cash cycle is also speeded up.

Q: How do you support your channel?

A: Riello UPS has a dedicated service support network operating on a 24-7 basis. We monitor installations on our Platinum contracts remotely through our 24-7 service centre. Platinum is our top maintenance support contract providing up to 4 clock hour response. We also provide silver (next day) and gold (same day) responses. Our products have a warranty period of either one or two years and this can be extended to either three or five years with our warranty extension plans. We also offer a dedicated technical hotline manned by fully trained Technical Energy Consultants (TEC). Our UPS Academy is also open to resellers. Here we train to specific sales and technical standards to allow our resellers to earn even more from selling Riello UPS.

Q: What benefits and incentives do you offer to your existing partners/newpartners?

A: Riello UPS has a dedicated reseller reward programme PowerUPS-Tx. Serving the channel you have to be able to motivate the sales teams with more than just value added margin and this is what we do. Our reward program provides a range of benefits and incentives based around cash points for UPS sales values. Resellers can elect to pass on these rewards to the individuals involved or take a pooled incentive as part of a co-op funded marketing program. Typical cash alternatives include a range of technology goods including MP3 players, DVD players and satellite navigation systems. Rebates are also operated for large distributors and resellers where appropriate.

Q: At what times of the year do you recruit new partners?

A: Riello UPS is open to new partner approaches at any time of the year. The UPS selling season really runs from September to July. This ties into some of the worst times for power problems in the UK and end of financial year spends. So we find September and March to be particularly strong months for UPS sales.

Q: Do you want new partners now?

A: Yes. We are actively recruiting now and interested resellers can see what we have to offer by visiting our website.

Comments (0)

Add a Comment

This thread has been closed from taking new comments.

Editorial: +44 (0)1892 536363
Publisher: +44 (0)208 440 0372
Subscribe FREE to the weekly E-newsletter