Psion has announced the Omnii XT15, its next-generation rugged handheld device. With its toughness, reliability and extended battery run time, Psion comments that the Omnii XT15 represents a new landmark for rugged mobile devices. To extend the value of Omnii even further, the new Omnii Advantage programme gives customers the opportunity to re-purpose their devices free of charge at any time after the first year of ownership. For example, a customer can start with a 2D barcode scanner and in the third year, replace that module with an RFID reader as the market moves to this technology. This eliminates the need to replace the entire product.
In these uncertain economic times, leading industry analyst firms recognise the compelling benefits of an adaptable product platform. David Krebs, Vice President, Mobile & Wireless, VDC Research, said: "Customers are looking for mobile business solutions that will continue to drive productivity and extend product life beyond three years. Psion's Omnii XT15 provides customers with the flexibility to adapt their handheld devices in the future, by replacing modules with the latest technology available, thus extending the life of the product."
The Omnii Advantage programme enables customers to upgrade any module free of charge after one full year of ownership.
John Conoley, CEO, Psion, commented: "When customers buy the Omnii XT15, they're not just buying a product, they're buying into a unique product family. Omnii is the most customisable and upgradeable platform in our industry. As customers' needs evolve, their Psion Omnii devices can evolve with them."
Psion cites key features of the Omnii XT15 as:
- Modular upgradeable rugged design Certified for IP67 and IP65
- Multiple data capture modules Range of imaging and laser scanners from multiple vendors
- Extremely rugged and upgradeable display module Proven to withstand 1.25 Joule impact with zero degradation to touch performance
- Eight interchangeable keyboard modules
- Tri-Sensor technology Accelerometer, digital compass and GPS are all standard features essential for Mobile Device Management (MDM)
- Extended battery performance High capacity battery and new architecture enable a continuous run time of 20 hours (including scanning and wireless usage
- Expanded wireless capabilities Includes WAN, 3.8G HSPA+, 2G EDGE and 802.11b/g/n
"We continue to meet the need for rugged and reliable devices for our customers in the transportation and distribution, manufacturing and industrial, and wholesale trade markets. The Omnii XT15 is a significant addition to our company portfolio of products and an important step in our mission to develop devices based on our open innovation model that help our customers to transform their business," said Conoley.