Nexsan, the independent provider of disk-based storage systems, has announced the first two models of the E5000 Family of NAS storage systems, the E5110 and the E5310. Both models are feature-rich, and utilise the revolutionary FASTier cache, which utilises multiple SSD technologies that work transparently to boost performance for random I/O workloads including applications that are run on top of virtualised computing environments such as VMware, Xen and Hyper-V.
"Companies of all sizes require the flexibility to efficiently scale their storage capacity without high expense or added IT management burden," said Terri McClure, Senior Analyst, Enterprise Strategy Group. "Nexsan has built a very innovative approach to solving the increasing storage needs of today's midsize enterprises. The E5000 Family matches the advanced features of their Flexible Storage Platform with the simplicity of a plug-and-play NAS device for truly flexible and reliable storage, while the new management interface is ideally suited to allow the IT generalist to get even the advanced features up and running quickly."
The E5000 Family is the latest addition to Nexsan's Flexible Storage Platform. It fills the need for NAS storage, complementing the E-Series Fibre Channel and iSCSI block storage systems and the industry-leading CAS-based and highly secure Assureon archive and cloud storage systems.
The E5110 provides a highly available NAS system with 8TB to 62TB of capacity in 3U to 6U of rack space. The E5310 is a 3U high availability NAS head which leverages the industry-leading storage density, power efficiency, and enterprise-class reliability of the Nexsan E-Series block storage systems to provide 9TB to 720TB of storage in just 19U of rack space. Powerful yet easy to use features include reservation-less snapshots, replication, quotas, AD and LDAP integration, and thin provisioning.
Each member of the E5000 Family offers Nexsan's patent-pending E-Centre graphical user interface for easy deployment and ongoing management of multiple dispersed systems from a single pane of glass. E5000 storage pools feature virtualized, online capacity expansion so administrators can add capacity as needed without any disruption to users or applications.
"We are impressed by the advanced features and ease of use of the E5000 system," said Steve Bishop, CTO, Veristor, a provider of virtual infrastructure, enterprise storage solutions and services. "The new system provides high availability for mission critical environments while delivering the density leadership and efficiency we've come to expect from Nexsan."
Key features of the Nexsan E5000 Family include:
- FASTier, an exclusive Nexsan feature which leverages multiple tiers of SSD technology to accelerate storage system performance with NL-SAS, SATA or SAS drives - ideal for virtualized operating environments or random I/O workloads.
- AutoMAID Technology, delivering "Speed with Green" for up to 85% reduction in power consumption for popular applications such as backup to disk or general file storage.
- Extreme Density with Active Drawer Technology, a revolutionary approach to simplifying maintenance of high density storage systems by providing continuous operation even when one of the drive drawers is opened to service disks or fans.
- High Availability featuring dual redundant hot-pluggable storage controllers with automatic failover for no single point-of-failure configurations.
- Storage Virtualisation enabled features with the flexibility to pool multiple LUNs and add additional storage on-the-fly with automatic storage I/O rebalancing.
- Shared Files for servers and users via CIFS, NFS, or both protocols simultaneously.
- Data Protection with support for snapshots, asynchronous replication, and NDMP.
- Rapid Deployment in which the system is up and running in just 15 minutes.
"Nexsan continues to deliver the innovative, high performance storage solutions our customers are demanding," said Scott Mellegaard, Solutions Architect with 3RP, a Nexsan Value Added Reseller. "With the E5000 Family Nexsan is really hitting the market with the right solution at the right price. It gives customers everything they are looking for in terms of capacity, scalability and virtualization support. It is a true complement to their E-Series SAN storage solutions for customers that need an end-to-end storage solution."
All Nexsan E-Series storage systems feature robust centralized storage management software for simplified deployment, management and support and offer a complete range of enterprise-class features including system redundancy for high availability and powerful performance for demanding applications. The Nexsan E-Series also delivers an easy and quick out of the box experience by integrating reliable Nexsan storage hardware and E-Series intelligence. Advanced technologies for high density, energy efficiency and reliability are included with every E-Series storage solution.
"At Nexsan, we understand that data storage should be as easy and as reliable as a telephone dial tone - no matter how much you have to store," said Michael McGuire, Chief Commercial Officer, Nexsan. "With the release of the E5000 series we've extended our advanced, enterprise-class Flexible Storage Platform to deliver a simple, plug-and-play NAS device that can be used as standalone file storage or paired as a complement to our SAN storage solutions for an efficient enterprise storage infrastructure that can scale, without failure, on demand."
Both the E5110 and E5310 are available today through Nexsan's network of authorised channel partners, with pricing that starts at $14, 974 MSRP.