According to researches carried out by specialists in information security, two threats are currently taking the first places regarding the amount of damage they cause: leakage of confidential information due to employees' negligence and larceny (theft) of confidential information by employees who have access to it due to their duties.
The typical security software is absolutely useless in combating unauthorized data leakage caused by your employees' negligence or intentionally harmful actions. Firewalls and AV-based security systems cannot protect you from theft of your company's confidential information by employees that have authority to access that data freely due to their duties. A successful company's most trustworthy and devoted employees often become characters in attacks planned by your competitors; they are bribed, blackmailed, threatened.
Currently, there are two major approaches on the market of products for protecting information against leakage:
1. managing access rights to standard information transfer devices - flash disks, IrDA ports, USB ports, devices connected via Bluetooth, etc.
2. detecting and blocking the transfer of confidential information by e-mail and via Internet resources using the methods of content analysis.
Each of these approaches has considerable disadvantages that do not allow the specified problem to be effectively solved. Products of the first type cannot distinguish between secret and public information and, as a result, either completely block information transfer or allow users to transfer everything. Products of the second type can serve as a protection means only against accidental leakage of information, while an experienced insider can easily get around them.
The system of protecting information against insiders called SecrecyKeeper uses a new approach to preventing unauthorized distribution of information.
This approach is based on dividing information by secrecy levels and users by access rights, which allows you to organize secure protection for commercial and personal data from employees.
SecrecyKeeper allows you to solve the following tasks:
- Restrict IT department employees' access to confidential data;
- Classify data stored on employee workstations and corporate servers by its level of confidentiality;
- Assign each employee a personal access level to allow or disallow the employee to access certain information;
- Restrict unauthorized distribution of confidential information by applying data confidentiality and employee access levels;
- Dynamically and statically block employees' permissions to access data transmission hardware diskettes, flash drives, IrDA ports, USB ports, devices connected via Bluetooth, COM ports, LPT ports and the Internet depending on the employees' access permissions and level of confidentiality of documents being processed;
- Software restriction policy;
- Provide detailed reports on using confidential data.
SecrecyKeeper has a compact and clear management interface based on the terminology that is common and clear to business users. Deployment of the SecrecyKeeper data security system will let corporate users prevent not only accidental data leaks but also, most importantly, intentional theft (stealing) of confidential corporate data.